Jewelry can remain sparkly and fabulous if cared for properly. It doesn’t take a lot of effort, but it will be worth every minute invested. Here are several simple tips:
1. Sonic cleaners are fantastic. Just a drop of ammonia and dishwashing liquid in the water does wonders! Make sure to let the jewelry dry completely before putting it way. Don’t put pearls, rubies, turquoise, amber, coral, or emeralds in a sonic cleaner. Use mild soap and water with a soft cloth instead.
2. If you don’t have a sonic cleaner, or if you jewelry is seriously dirty, invest in a soft toothbrush. Softly scrub the jewelry with mixture of a cup of hot water with a splash of ammonia and a small squirt of dishwashing liquid.
3. Tarnished jewelry should be cleaned with a tarnish remover specifically safe for jewelry. Silver polish works brilliantly on tarnished silver, making the piece almost like new.
4. Don’t spray hairspray or perfume while wearing your jewelry. These sticky particles will adhere to your jewelry and attract dust. Jewelry should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off to avoid damage. Most cosmetics are harmful to jewelry.
5. For a quick clean, spray window cleaner on a soft cloth (like a washcloth) and wipe the jewelry. Don’t spray the cleaner directly onto the jewelry as you won’t be able to wipe it from all the tiny nooks and crannies.
6. Remove your jewelry when cleaning, putting on lotion, swimming in a pool or ocean, gardening, or when you’re in extreme heat or cold.